Notices: Argument. Plot outline. What's in a name?

Monday, November 20, 2006

Novel Stats

Metrics for HAPPY, THE END

Daily Word Count:
400 today, 6.6k total (out of a likely 40-50k

Inspirations: Jeremy Enigk, Anberlin

The good:
“I always knew that you were wicked inside but I just didn't know how wicked,” I said, sipping my coffee. “Maybe we've never loved each other like kin should – but I cut the wood and weeded the garden so your old hands wouldn't have to. And I always kissed your cheek even when I really wanted punch your nose. Because - no matter how much you look like a toad - you're my Gram.”

She took a drink from her mug made a bitter face.

“Eck - too strong... And you're wrong there; I ain't your Gram. Lilith dumped you on my door ten years ago. I just took you in 'cause I needed the help – Gad, Fin! did you take all the sugar?”


Bad writing skill that needs to go away: I think that he maybe accepts the revelation of his hero-dom too easily. This chapter was fun to write but it feels a little flat to me. There's a lot of exposition and I need to make sure that it feels natural and flows logically.

***********************************************
Revised Chapter 3 a bit. Fin's Grandma doesn't die anymore and I like it that way. I'm 3 paragraphs chapter 4 now. Tomorrow should really start fleshing it out.

5 comments:

Aprilynne Pike said...

It's amazing how much a supporting character living or dying can effect your whole book so much!

Maprilynne

Levi Nunnink said...

True dat. :-)

It really lightened the mood to have a humorous exchange at the end of Chapter 3 instead of a Grandma dying.[/end_understatement] I don't want this to be dark when it doesn't have to be.

Unknown said...

I don't know, the character I made live made things darker.

Hehe.:)

Aprilynne Pike said...

Wow, that was weird, I didn't know I could post under a different user name . . . that last post was me.:)

Levi Nunnink said...

Strange username shenanigans...

I guess some characters living does make things worse for the good guys.