Notices: Argument. Plot outline. What's in a name?

Friday, October 20, 2006

Where to start?

Character?


Or setting?



It's becoming more and more apparent to me as I forge ahead on these first drafts of chapters that I'm more inspired by character than setting. I was reading one author's blog about how he'll look at pictures of flowers and forests to get inspired. There have been times when I've been driven to write, simply to send my characters into a haunted hotel or a fairy forest that I've been dreaming about. But mostly I'm inspired to write because of my characters: "This is when they realize that... or come to terms with this... or meet him..." Especially in my first drafts, the setting is very sparse. You could change the setting from a forest to a city with very little editing.

I can see this is something I'll need to work on. I don't just need to know who my characters are - I need to know where they are.

Current mood:

Tired

No comments: