Notices: Argument. Plot outline. What's in a name?

Monday, October 30, 2006

My troll evolved into a flying monkey



In early starts of Happy, The End, the main villain was a troll. Except he had to do a lot of talking and writing troll dialogue can be tricky. (Trolls don't strike me as very verbose creatures, y'know. Tolkien could do a right wicked talking troll but that's Tolkien.) So I gave the troll a witch as a partner. We all know how witches love to gab so my problem was solved. Except I noticed now I couldn't just write "the troll emerged from the trees"; I had to go with: "the witch and the troll emerged from the trees." That's a bit more of mouthful.

But that aside, the witch was a lot of fun to write. I envisioned her as twisted Glinda The Good Witch of Oz. I like writing creepy witch dialogue. I like the fact that Fin has a sort of thing for her (what a weirdo). I really got into her character.

In the meantime the troll became a mute. I liked it better when he didn't talk. He didn't really have anything to do because there's more headgames going on in the first chapters than violence. Finally yesterday I noticed that the only thing I have him doing is throw tomatoes at Fin and choke him. The rest of the time he's just standing around. Talk about wasting a troll! He's outta here.

I decided to make him a large flying monkey. It makes more sense. The witch doesn't need a partner. LMF's are scarier than trolls. And the witch can leave a monkey at home if she wants (the troll was getting dragged around from scene to scene). And best of all, I don't have to write "I could hear the witch and troll in the distance" anymore.

It's weird how things change while you write.

3 comments:

Michele said...

Yes, a large flying monkey is extremely interesting. How about making him effeminate as well? Just a thought. It seems like powerful, beautiful women attract this type. (Think Liz Taylor and her relationship with Michael Jackson)

Anonymous said...

Good day

Finally you can sell your used and new products FREE on the new advance http://www.BuySellDirect.net


http://www.BuySellDirect.net is 100% FREE for buyers and sellers.

Anonymous said...

Hi!


Http://www.BuySellDirect.net is the one you need to sell your used products FREE and make money at home.


http://www.BuySellDirect.net is the one FREE advance ebay you have been looking for