Notices: Argument. Plot outline. What's in a name?

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Speaking of mines...

Anyone who lives in Grass Valley will know why but I thought I'd explain it to those who don't.

Twenty three years ago I was born in the little California town of Grass Valley and I haven't wanted to leave since. Grass Valley is a town founded during the California Gold Rush around The Empire Mine. The Mine isn't running anymore. Now it's a park.

When I was a kid I lived with that mine almost literally in my back yard. In the summer evenings me and my family would all go for walks down the trails and play. The huge hills and valleys always reminded me of castles.


Some of the trails

There's something very mysterious about a beautiful place that has been abandoned.

I remember the first time my Mom shelled out the money to get into the gardens. It was like a little glimpse of heaven for me. I've always loved pretty things and I remember feeling almost overwhelmed walking across the green, shady lawn; through the rose arbors; and past the fountains.

It's quiet inside the gardens and there's a lot of hidden lawns and walkways. I love that place.





Some shots of the gardens

It's a great place to go for inspiration or just to relax. I'm very grateful that I grew up with such a beautiful place so close.

If you're ever in Grass Valley and want a tour - let me know. I'm always up for it.

2 comments:

Jodi Meadows said...

Beautiful pictures. I can definitely see the appeal! :D

Levi Nunnink said...

Honestly, those shots don't do it justice.