Notices: Argument. Plot outline. What's in a name?

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Novel Stats

Metrics for HAPPY, THE END

Daily Word Count: 500 today 18.1k total (out of a likely 60-80k)

Inspirations: Kate Rusby, Stephen King.

The good:
I examined the ceiling and considered how many tons of earth sat over our heads. What was holding it up? Just a few feet of concrete? I shuddered and attempted to direct my thoughts to a different subject but they remained stubbornly fixed. I envisioned with horrible clarity a sudden cracking noise, a futile shout of warning from Lilith, then acres of earth pouring down on my head and pinning my body still. How long could someone live buried alive? Hours? Days? After more thoughts like this every noise became a terror; the harbinger of a suffocating death. The air already seemed to be too scarce. It felt as if someone was holding a cloth across my face.

***********************************************

Finally back in the swing of things. Tonight I told my wife, "I've got to write. It's a must." And like the wonderful person that she is, she totally understood.

Speaking of my wife, I often forget that she once had a panic attack. It was only a few weeks after I met her for the first time. We were hanging out in a crowded house on a rainy day. She started to feel like she couldn't breathe and pretty soon she was hyperventilating. It went on for hours and her parents had to come and pick her up. "Really embarrassing," is how she sums it up. Seven years later, it hasn't happened again. (This event actually was instrumental in us getting together but that's another story.)

The reason I bring this up is because I just made one of my characters have a panic attack. We'll see how it goes.

2 comments:

Aprilynne Pike said...

It's so interesting to me to watch how you write. You don't write very many words, but they are clean words. When I write, I tend to spew 2-3,000 words in a session. I can pop out 100,000 words insix weeks!

But then those words need a lot of help! I would say that I need about 150,000 words to actually get 100,000 good words when I am done spraying them all with the proverbial fire hose.

It's fun to watch your progress.:)

Maprilynne

Levi Nunnink said...

Wow thanks, Maprilynne. Very kind words.