Notices: Argument. Plot outline. What's in a name?

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Novel Stats

Metrics for HAPPY, THE END

Daily Word Count: 700 today, 9.6k total (out of a likely 40-50k)

Inspirations: Jeremy Enigk, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Tolkien

The good:
Forgive me if I said, “I’d like to sit closer to the fire – no, don’t carry me – I can make it fine just leaning on you. But put your arm around my waist... There. Thank you.”

These were grim tactics. I’m not a flirt. But the situation seemed to be calling for it.


Bad writing skill that needs to go away:
I'm having a hard time striking the right note between Fin and Hattie. How do you start a relationship that you know is going to fail? They need to have some sort of connection but it can't be too good otherwise there's no reason for them to fall apart.

***********************************************

I'm reading The Fellowship of the Ring for the first time in nearly six years. I'd forgotten how good it is. It's odd how different the movie feels from the book. I like it that way though.

Tolkien is such an excellent writer too. Great inspiration material.

I'm heavily barrowing from Kenneth Grahame for this chapter. The characters in his Wind in the Willows encounter a creature in the chapter called "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" quite similar to the one my characters also run into. Except they have very different reactions. BTW if you haven't read Wind in the Willows you are seriously missing out on one of the best books ever.

2 comments:

Aprilynne Pike said...

"How do you start a relationship that you know is going to fail?"

I have one of those in my book too. The way I did it, it began with all hormones, developed into love, and then truth reared it's ugly head.

But it was hot and heavy to start.:)

Maprilynne

Levi Nunnink said...

I think that Hormones are key. You can be deeply in-lust with someone and not love them one ounce. Although, I've got to keep the whole "lust" aspect not too graphic. HTE is for kids/teens and honestly "steamy" writing just makes me uncomfortable.