Notices: Argument. Plot outline. What's in a name?

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Novel Stats

Metrics for HAPPY, THE END

Daily Word Count: 500 today 20.9k total (out of a likely 60-80k)

Inspirations: Emily Bronte, Kate Rusby, Stephen King.

The good:


Let us then go silently:
To bear him forth to the cool night-air
The summer night drinks from the sea.

The song had more verses that I can’t remember but the last line made me cry. I stood, holding hands with Amy and let the tears steam down my cheeks unashamed. I wasn’t crying because I was sad. (I don’t cry over sad things.) I cried because it was all so completely beautiful: The handsome men and lovely women - even more beautiful in their solemnity – marching through the gates on a mission of mercy; the stark brass music, mourning the fallen; even the pale autumn light, it all gripped me deep in my bosom.

***********************************************

I'm doing some plot-exposition right now and it's tough to keep it interesting. I just gotta get through it and I'll fix it in the rewrite. That's becoming my mantra for this book.

I've discovered a fun technique for inspiration: Just before I start writing I read a few pages from a book that I like. It really helps to get those writing-juices flowing. If your struggling for inspiration I'd highly recommend it.

No comments: