Notices: Argument. Plot outline. What's in a name?

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Novel Stats

Metrics for HAPPY, THE END

Daily Word Count:
500 today 17.8k total (out of a likely 60-80k)

Inspirations: Steven King, Rosie Thomas, Anberlin, Sufjan Stevens

The good:
We began our final sprint down the ravine. The sky was dark as a thunderstorm. Blistering wind screamed over our heads. The air all around us rippled. Every inch of my body was drenched in sweat: it slicked my thighs and streamed down my face into my eyes and mouth. But the air was clear. I could breathe. My ankle was better. I ran as hard as I could. And I liked it.

I’d never been built like the other willowy girls who populated Luna Castle. My legs were thick and my waist, no matter how I tried to smooth it, always bore a soft ripple of fat. “You’ve got a runner’s body,” my mother once told me, after catching me reproachfully examining my figure in a mirror. “Postland has too many swans, for my tastes. Penelope, you’re a deer.” So I ran. The other girls might look gorgeous in a bathing suit but I could lick them in any race. The courtly life didn’t allow for many such opportunities but it didn’t matter. I was a runner. And I could even beat a fire if it came to a race.

***********************************************

I feel like I'm finally getting a bead on Penelope's character. She's starting to turn into real person for me instead of a caricature.

No comments: