Notices: Argument. Plot outline. What's in a name?

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Ch-ch-cha-changes!

I've been thinking about the beginning of Happy, The End and I've decided to scrap the whole orphanage setting. Like the troll, it once served a purpose but now it just feels awkward. Especially since I never go back to it after the first chapter. I have to explain this whole system Fin has set up at the orphanage then it gets ripped right out from under him and he doesn't even really care when all is said and done. I originally thought it would be a good setting to give insight to his character but I think the whole beginning would flow much better without it.

I think this is one of the drawback of the Stephen King plot-as-you-go method...

Also, I've been bugged on Fin's motivation for "the quest". Why should he decide leave everything and trudge off into the unknown to kill a villain he's never met? I still am not sold. I'll probably use the age-old "he needs to save the world" as a red herring but I think the real motivation is lust.

I'm thinking of changing the title to The Last Fairytale or The Last Legend. Both sound like a cheezy movie but they make sense in the context of the story. What do you think?

1 comment:

Michele said...

Hey I'm glad I found this. I didnt know you were posting about your book. Its great so far, actually I think you should just publish your musing. haha, the post abouthow your troll turns into a flying monkey made me laugh so hard. Im excited to read more.
`Roz