Notices: Argument. Plot outline. What's in a name?

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Novel Stats

Metrics for HAPPY, THE END

Daily Word Count:
250 today, 7.15k total (out of a likely 40-50k)

Inspirations:
The Life Aquatic.

The good:

As I ran it seemed that I had split into two distinct personalities. The first was a Fin with mind full of swords, death and also soft hands, flowers and kisses. Music played in his head – violins and deep throbbing drums that matched the rhythm of his footsteps and high above it all, the princess's voice sang her haunted song. He looked around at the trees, all wounded red with autumn, and felt exhilarated. The second Fin protested as loud as he could that this gallant dash was a mistake. We have no plan, he cried. Stop and figure something out! Just don't run out there without thinking about it!

Bad writing skill that needs to go away: My suspicions were confirmed on a re-read of the last chapter: I had totally lost Fin's character. He suddenly becomes this romantic hero when he's really more of a sly villian. I need to remember that this chapter is the most unconfortable, out-of-character and confused that Fin will ever be. He needs to be constantly resisting it. Hattie also needs work. She seems to alternate from noble to childish in her dialogue. I need to get a better bead on her.

***********************************************
Mostly cleanup of my first draft of this chapter today. Low word count but it's been productive. I've made some changes and it's feeling better but there's still work to be done. But I've got to get up at 5:30 tomorrow so it's off to bed now.

No comments: