Notices: Argument. Plot outline. What's in a name?

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Write what you know - it's a good idea

I recently cracked open my first attempts at writing a book. Of course, they were horrible - but one thing stands out above the poor writing: they were wrong. Specifically about being a parent.

My first story focused on a father-daughter relationship. Ohhh boy! What a romanticised view I used to have. Flash forward five years: I recently observed to my wife, "Our house has been captured by insane, violent midgets. How did we let this happen?" And somehow it's mysteriously wonderful. Emphasis on mysteriously. But it's very different than my writing anticipated. Any real parent who read my book would've had to visit the opthamologist from all the eye rolling.

Now my story is again drifting towards parent-child relationships. This time, I know a little bit more about the subject. The romance is gone, my friend but I think this story is much truer than my first.

Bottom line, write what you know.

Another example: I recently wrote a scene where the character freaked out! Yeah! Everyone loves a freak out! One problem... I've never freaked out! Yeah! *Ahem*

It's true. A couple of years ago I was crumbling under the stress of my job, I'd lay awake late into the night, fearing death, disease, aging, etc. I was in the midst of a spiritual crisis. I thought I was having a nervous breakdown. I was one burned-out cookie. Worst year of my life. And you know what? No one knew. Not even my wife. How could I hide something like this over the period of almost a year? I never freaked out. There's always been something in my mind that prevents me from running around, shouting and tearing things apart like Jimmy Stewart in It's a Wonderful Life. ("You keep playing that song, over and over - now STOP IT!")

So my freakout scene was wrong. Just wrong. I was guessing at how someone gets to that point but I really don't know. I don't know the mental steps from calm to screaming. (And for one, I hope I don't find out.) I know how to be grumpy, snippy, annoyed, annoying, tootie-fruity but not screamy.

So I rewrote the scene. It's emotional but - you know - people don't loose it.

Bottom line, write what you know.

4 comments:

raymond said...

I like your blog.

Very interesting post. I have attempted many times to write about politics for my blog, but they have never turned out well because I don't know squat about politics. I have a general idea, but the meat that I was trying to get into just went right over my head and thankfully I decided not to post them. Cause I would have looked like a buffoon, which happens enough already when I'm talking about the things I do "know" about.

Levi Nunnink said...

Hi Raymond! Thanks for stopping by.

Bro, I checked out your blog and just wasted over half an hour. Thanks a lot! ;-)

"They're taking the hobbits to Isengard!"

Anonymous said...

Hey Leve! I've been lurking on your site for quite some time now! Your line about the insane, violent midgets made me crack up because it is so true!! Why do we love those wierd little things?? -Claire

Levi Nunnink said...

Hi Claire, thanks for stopping by. I heard you and Suzanne had fun with the wicked children this morning.

Actually, I think it's cool that parenthood is different than I expected. If Jack, Lily, and Sam were Shirley Temple impersonators, I don't think I'd be learning as much about life. To love another human being after they scream at you, poop on you, puke on you... It teaches us about God. :-) Actually, I exaggerate. They're really very sweet... most of the time.