Notices: Argument. Plot outline. What's in a name?

Monday, March 26, 2007

Novel Stats

Pages re-written: 5 today 22 total

Inspirations: C.S. Lewis Emily Bronte, Kate Rusby, Stephen King.

New lines I like:

Keeping his eyes averted, he climbed back into his chair. He would stay up all night, he decided; he would be ready at a moment’s notice with a helping hand. Then he fell asleep.
***********************************************

Sick today. I've been sick since Friday. Not fun. :-(

Going back over the first draft, I discovered that I used way too many words and took way too long to move the story along. Part of the reason was because I didn't know where the story was going. I was like that amazingly slow driver that you get stuck behind; the one who's trying to find that elusive address and has to go laboriously slooooow so he can check each house and street sign. That was me. I thought each driveway and side street might be my destination so I moved like a snail, checking each address digit and reading the street signs twice.

But now that I know where I'm going, I'm cruising right along.

Good movies that I've seen lately:

1. Flushed Away. Really, really, really funny. One of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. I was cracking up, at least. And clean as the top of a baby's head after bathtime.

2. Stranger Than Fiction. A nice movie. Sidenote: Have you notices how strangely movies portray writer-types?

3. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. Bloody amazing. I saw it a long time ago and thought I wouldn't like it as much on the second viewing. I liked it more. Simon, I'm talking to you, baby - you've got to watch this movie.

I had to drive to Sacramento today for a meeting. On the way home I got caught in a ferocious deluge of rain on I-80 and Hwy-49. I was praying that God would get me home safe and he did. Thanks, Lord.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Let's hope you didn't give Sky Captain the same seal of recommendation as, say, Vertigo, or, dare I say it? Blade Runner (Is he a cyborg? Is he not? Does anyone care?)
You know, I remember seeing that movie a long time ago, and not being too hip to it. But upon your recommendation, Levi, I'll check it out again.
We don't get many chances to watch movies here, but the one we saw (again) recently was The Hunt for Red October. Now that was a good movie! One of the best in the "men in a big metal underwater boat face peril, a spy, and mutiny" genre.

Unknown said...

I don't know why it suddenly says Alison. In case you couldn't figure it out by my snide yet insightful comments, this is Simon.

Levi Nunnink said...

Well, Alison, this is a surprise! I must say that I'm surprised at your snide-yet-insightful comments. I usually expect Simon to carry that tone but anyway... ;-)

Sky Captain is nothing like those wonderful films, Vertigo and Blade Runner (he's a replicant! I care). It's more like a 50s Superman cartoon. Lots of fun and very retro-feeling. It was done entirely on bluescreen, like 300 or Sin City without the gore and sex.

I haven't seen The Hunt for Red October in probably 10 years. Maybe I'll check it out one of these days.