Notices: Argument. Plot outline. What's in a name?

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Belated update

Sorry about my recent negligence in posting. I've actually been quite productive writing-wise. Here's where I'm at:

Last week I reached the end of part one of my book. During that time I'd managed to accomplish some things:

1) I got to know my characters
2) I came up with my plot
3) I got familiar with my setting
4) I wrote my backstory

Not bad, even if the writing was more than a little sketchy in spots. Actually Part 1, in its current state, was unreadable. I'd been doing the "throw it against the wall and see what sticks" method of writing and a lot of things didn't stick. Subtle things like personality traits and motivations have changed quite a bit since Chapter 1. Big things have changed like, "hey they have guns" to "no, this culture hasn't invented modern weaponry". So when I finished Part 1 last week, I decided to rewrite the thing before continuing; just to clear up stuff in my head and have a good foundation to go forward.

It's been a lot of fun so far and I've managed almost 4,000 words since Saturday. Just as an excerpt I thought I'd share the opening paragraphs as they currently stand. I expect to resume normal posting soon.

3 paragraphs for ya:


The girl was following the pale man and a monster was following her. The trio made a daisy-chain stretching across Postworld. The girl had only seen the pale man once but the image was fingerprinted on her mind: that night in Luna Castle, he standing nonchalantly, covered in her father’s blood. Then that little nod he gave (very gentleman-like) when she stumbled through the door.

She would see him again. Would she kill him? No, probably not. The thought of killing a human being – and the pale man was human – felt more awful now than ever. The pale man had introduced her to blood and death and it seemed that killing him in return would be like agreeing with him. No, she would simply ask him, “Paleface, why did you kill my father? Why’d you kill my mother? Why did you kill my sisters? Why did you kill everyone in New Camelot? And why, did you let me live?”

The Monster that crept at her heels she had not seen. She simply knew it was there, and stalking closer. Paleface had plucked it out of the dark and sic’ed it after her like a dog. But if she could make it to Silverwater she would be safe – unless Paleface had attacked Silverwater too. The dark smudge across the sky at her back reminded her (as if she needed it) that New Camelot, city of warriors was still burning. If she found Silverwater leveled to the ground it would hardly surprise her now.

2 comments:

Simon said...

Thanks for the update, bro. Good to see that things are going well. I loved the excerpt! Great character development, especially since its done in the space of a few paragraphs.
A rewrite! Boy, I haven't even thought that far ahead. I really have trouble with rewrites, because I get so emotionally attached to some of the writing. I guess that's something I should get over...
Carry on, my wayward son.

Levi Nunnink said...

Thanks for the compliments, bro.

I actually enjoy rewriting more than the initial draft. I've become very emotionally distant to my writing.